Monday, September 26, 2016

Configuring IIS Express failed with the following error Unable to access the IIS metabase


After installing Visual Studio 2013 and opening my solution, I received the below error:

Configuring IIS Express failed with the following error:
Unable to access the IIS metabase. You do not have sufficient privilege to access IIS web sites on your machine.

The root problem was that the "My Documents" folder had setup to be on a network share, and the share was not accessible. Once I changed the "My Documents" folder location to a local folder (by modifying the registry value), it started working again.


Changing this key worked for me:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal


I know that this may not be a common scenario that you might run into, but I've posted it here because it gives the same symptoms.
Registry Editor




2 comments:

  1. For me this was the exact cause. I am using Network drive for my documents. Thanks for pointing me to right direction.

    As soon as I pointed to users/documents VS2017 started working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Citizen Eco Drive Titanium Watch Sport Stainless - TITIA.COM
    Citizen eco drive Titanium Watch Sport Stainless columbia titanium pants - TITIA.COM is the ONLY, Authentic watch brand to titanium jewelry piercing produce quality titanium exhaust tips watches with a top titanium network surf freely class design and titanium symbol performance.

    ReplyDelete